Globally, stakeholders are increasingly looking beyond the balance sheet at long term value creation. Reforms underway likely mean significant changes to reporting on sustainability matters. To stay ahead of these trends, directors may wish to examine whether other current developments will provide a better way of communicating their value proposition to stakeholders.
Director, Strategy and Engagement and Professor of Practice in Integrated Reporting
Mr Michael Bray is Director – Strategy and Engagement in the Deakin Integrated Reporting Centre, and Professor of Practice (Integrated Reporting) at Deakin University. He is also Special Adviser to the CEO of the Value Reporting Foundation (the result of the June 2021 merger of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) and the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC). He was a partner of KPMG for almost 30 years.
Globally we are seeing the formation of the International Sustainability Standards Board and a potential draft of its climate reporting standard is likely to appear shortly. The new ASX Corporate Governance Recommendation 4.3 (integrity of corporate reporting) and revised Recommendation 7.4 (ESG risk disclosure, including as to climate change) were already in force for 30 June 2021 corporate reporting.
A panel of experts will explore this new terrain and its impact to ensure reliable corporate reporting meets broader expectations and is of value to all its stakeholders. They will cover:
- An update on changes and trends in global and Australian corporate reporting systems
- The changing Australian legal, corporate governance and reporting environment including:
- Changing interpretations about director duties in relation to climate reporting
- Early experiences with the new ASX Corporate Governance Recommendation 4.3 dealing with the integrity and reliability of corporate reports
- A director’s perspective on evolving director responsibilities
- An investor’s perspective on whether the changes will better meet their information needs
- Practical tips for directors on what they might do to alter their approach to reporting to better align with these emerging trends