It also examines the composition and structure of the board, and how the separation of board and executive team benefits an organisation’s governance and long-term viability.
Is this course right for you?
This program is suitable for:
- new and practising directors seeking to refresh their understanding of the essentials of good governance;
- senior executives seeking to enhance their knowledge of the function of the board; and
- established boards with recently appointed directors.
What will you learn?
Participants gain an up-to-date analysis of the roles and responsibilities of the board and executive team. Upon successful completion of this course, participants are able to:
- identify the role and key functions of the board and its directors;
- describe the key duties and responsibilities of directors;
- explain how the board fulfils its primary functions;
- identify the regulatory framework in which boards operate;
- review board meeting protocols and procedures;
- realise the importance of key performance measures for the board and directors; and
- understand the liabilities of directors and their related protections.
What can you expect?
Although this is an online course, you won’t be left alone without guidance and support. Throughout the course, you’ll be supported by an online tutor. Our tutors are experienced company directors. They are selected based on their knowledge of the board environment as well as their ability to engage and connect with participants.
Participants will be part of a cohort learning together over the structured six-week course. Participants are able to review resources and information independently week-by-week, but they’ll also be able to check in with fellow participants to test their assumptions, discuss dilemmas and share experiences.
Course content can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Governance Essentials is comprised of the following modules:
- Duties of a director
- Role of the board
- Board composition
- Governance relations
- Meeting effectiveness
- Board performance
- Case studies
Participants gain 10 DPD units for completing the course.