The Board’s Role in Mergers and Acquisitions in the Not-for-Profit Sector
Mergers are most effective when the proposal aligns with the strategic direction of an organisation. Tailored specifically for the not-for-profit environment, this course provides information on the commercial, legal and strategic issues faced when preparing an organisation for a merger or acquisition (M&A).
Is this course right for you?
This course is suitable for not-for-profit directors.
This course is suitable for directors contemplating or preparing for a merger or acquisition in a not-for-profit context, or for directors seeking an overview of this specialised aspect of organisational strategy.
We recommend that participants complete the Foundations of Directorship, the Company Directors Course
™ or Governance Foundations for Not-for-Profit Directors
before undertaking this short course.
What will you learn?
This course covers key factors relating to mergers and acquisitions in the not-for-profit sector.
- Explain the challenges of M&As for not-for-profit directors and boards
- Understand the role of M&As in a not-for-profit organisation’s strategy
- Examine the regulatory framework around M&As
- Assess your organisation’s position to ensure any M&A is strategically sound
- Evaluate the suitability of a proposed M&A transaction for your organisation, taking strategic and cultural fit into account
- Help to increase capabilities in order to maximise the competitive advantage of your organisation
- Understand the current and relevant trends, frameworks and regulatory requirements of M&A transactions
- Work more effectively with management in implementing major organisational changes associated with a merger or acquisition
What can you expect?
In this half-day course you will engage in case studies and group work, led by a facilitator with extensive experience in the not-for-profit sector.
Mode of Study
Tables are configured in cabaret style, allowing group work and table discussion. Class sizes are customarily limited to a maximum of 25 people.
3.5 hour session.
- Key differences between mergers in the not-for-profit and the for-profit sectors
- Trends in M&A in the Australian not-for-profit sector
- Reasons for undertaking M&A activity in the not-for-profit sector
- The role of the board and management in M&As
- The processes involved in M&As
- Factors that promote the likelihood of success for M&As in the not-for-profit sector
- The regulatory environment of M&As
Customised courses for your board or organisation
Our In-House service can work with you to build tailored development solutions that meet the unique needs of your board or organisation
Why learn with us?
When you're at the top of your game you need the best.
Our programs and courses are designed by expert educators with the input of experienced directors and subject matter experts. The contemporary content is updated annually and includes case studies and real-life examples to ensure relevancy for today's and tomorrow's directors.
With our rigorous selection criteria, we recruit facilitators boasting extensive real-world director experience and the ability to create an interactive and unique learning environment.
You'll spend time connecting with, learning from, and sharing experiences with, a broad range of high-calibre senior executives and directors who are passionate about improving performance.
We offer highly-regarded and established governance and directorship programs. By participating, you are demonstrating your commitment to good governance practice, and have the opportunity to earn post nominals that associate you with Australia's leading organisation for directors and are recognised by the wider director community.